The Canadian Association of Defence and Security Industries (CADSI) is seeking a motivated, experienced, and energetic Communications Manager to lead the association’s owned, earned, social and paid media activities.
This exciting opportunity would allow an experienced strategic communications professional to focus on a dynamic sector of the Canadian economy; deepen relationships with the National Press Gallery, specialized defence and security reporters and trade publications; and to creatively use digital tools – all to increase awareness of CADSI, Canada’s defence and security industry and to advance the association’s advocacy agenda among key external audiences.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Communications Manager will be responsible for:
- Media relations, including building relationships with journalists and placing op-eds
- Regularly updating and implementing a communications strategy that includes owned, earned, social and paid media activities
- Developing the Association’s public-facing communications materials, including: speeches, media advisories, releases, statements and talking points in collaboration with the President and CEO
- Managing and refreshing CADSI’s digital presence, often organized around specific campaigns (e.g. My North, My Home)
- Creating, coordinating and executing communication and media relations projects, often simultaneously (from concept to design to production), either in-house or outsourced
- Leading communications and media relations aspects at CADSI’s major events like CANSEC, including developing communications plans and interacting with VIPs and keynote speakers
- Developing and using monitoring and evaluation tools to inform continuous improvement against set targets across all activities
- Supporting CADSI’s advocacy initiatives
- Working closely with CADSI’s Marketing and Events teams to:
- Collaboratively develop content for CADSI members to keep them up to date on CADSI’s policy, advocacy, and communications activities, and
- Maximize media coverage of CADSI events and initiatives and communicate these activities with key audiences
- Monitoring and analyzing the government and defence and security industry landscape for communications risks and opportunities, as well as identifying emerging trends.
- Mentoring junior communications staff as required
- Managing agency partners
- Supports CADSI Operating Committees, as required
- Responsible for relevant elements of the budgeting and financial forecasting process
- Other duties as assigned
Experience and Qualifications
As a creative and resourceful individual, the ideal candidate will be able to communicate CADSI’s mission and interests and to connect with target audiences. Specifically, this individual will possess the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated ability to deliver and implement communications/public affairs programs (ideally, a minimum of five years progressive experience in policy, communications and/or government relations)
- Very strong written and verbal communications skills
- Experience in media relations with national press gallery or national media preferred and placing/pitching op-eds in mainstream publications
- Experience implementing social media plans that increase reach and grow audiences
- Experienced in web content management and production tools
- Bilingualism preferred
- Experience in developing a variety of communications products for different audiences
- Experience in managing consultants and service providers would be an asset
- Knowledgeable about the defence and security industry would be an asset
- Well organized, detailed oriented, a team player, and self-motivated
- Post-secondary degree relevant to the position or equivalent work experience (e.g. communications, journalism, public relations, international relations, international development, history, political science, public policy)
- Agency or political experience would be an asset
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, please submit your resume and a cover letter of no more than two pages that addresses the following points:
- Why you want to work for the CADSI.
- How your background and skills ideally suit you to fulfil this position.
- Ways in which your work experience demonstrate your result-oriented professional approach.
- Salary expectations.
Submissions should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than midnight EDT on Sunday, 3 June, 2018. Only applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Download as PDF.
The Canadian Association of Defence and Security Industries (CADSI) is the national industry voice of more than 800 Canadian defence and security companies that produce world-class goods, services and technologies made across Canada and sought the world over. The industries contributes to the employment of more than 63,000 Canadians and generate $10 billion in annual revenues, roughly 60 per cent of which come from exports. To learn more about CADSI and Canada’s defence and security industry, visit www.defenceandsecurity.ca and follow us on Twitter at @CadsiCanada.