Advocacy / CADSI News
CADSI is hiring a Manager, Event Operations
New Opportunity: Manager, Event Operations
The application deadline is August 22, 2022.
The Canadian Association of Defence and Security Industries (CADSI) is the national and international voice of Canada’s defence, security, and cyber industries. We are expanding our team and searching for a high-performing leader to join our Event Operations department.
Reporting to the Director of Operations and as part of an award-winning crew, the ideal candidate will be responsible for guiding, planning, producing, executing (and in some projects, playing a supporting role) CADSI’s world-class in-person and virtual events; including Canada’s largest defence and security trade show, CANSEC. The Manager, Event Operations will undertake various essential activities designed to deliver value to an influential and engaged membership base. As a key departmental member of event operations, the successful candidate will exemplify integrity, leadership and strategic event operations action planning while delivering outstanding customer service alongside the high-performing CADSI team.
The ideal candidate will possess and demonstrate skill sets and abilities in the following areas:
The successful candidate must demonstrate experience and success in critical event operational leadership roles. He/She/They will readily accept challenges and is a consummate professional, demonstrating impeccable attention to detail, planning and production; excellent communication skills is a versatile team player and people-person with a creative and collaborative approach to problem-solving and customer service.
The ideal candidate should possess a breadth and depth of experience and/or understanding of working within an Association and serving a membership base. The successful candidate will possess comprehensive knowledge and significant experience in event* planning and production. (*Events ranging from tradeshows, exhibits, meetings, conferences, conventions, registration systems and the logistical support elements.)
Our new team member must demonstrate the ability to leverage their experiences and skillsets to produce these events and convert them into valuable, innovative professional development opportunities for our defence, security and cyber member companies to grow their domestic and international business.
The successful candidate shall possess skills and be experienced in setting strategic priorities and establishing effective tactics to achieve objectives. The successful candidate will be accountable for the management and execution of programming required for CADSI to follow through on strategies and tactics, which are key to achieving its corporate goals. This will be accomplished in part by; securing beneficial service partnerships, funding agreements**, sponsorships** (** as directed from time to time), coordinating necessary internal and external resources, raising awareness, acceptance and buy-in of members, industry and key stakeholders.
He/She/They have a track record of contributing to a positive, high-performing, fun work atmosphere. They possess and demonstrate exemplary judgement, integrity, respect and fairness unconditionally and at all times.
In more detail:
The successful candidate
- Will plan, organize and direct all operational event requirements such as, but not limited to, staffing & contractor resources, logistics, required equipment, sponsorship management, show service suppliers, and food & beverage services. This includes initiatives or groups of projects from instigation through completion to ensure completion on time, following specifications of outcomes and outputs, within budget and progress timelines.
- Will possess efficient experience in operating budget management in a similar environment. The ideal candidate will assist in creating needed traditional and non-traditional revenue streams.
- Will demonstrate an understanding of project management principles and practices, including creating and monitoring schedules, budgets, meeting agendas, status reporting and risk/issue management.
- Will possess strong organizational skills, with the ability to work for, and take direction from, multiple stakeholders.
- Will have enjoyed a minimum career experience of 7 years managing large-scale events, coordinating projects and leading teams.
- Will hold advanced written and verbal communication skills and experience communicating and consulting with project executives, sponsors and stakeholders.
- Perform other event and project-related duties as required.
Why you are right for this job
- You are a natural and credible leader.
- You possess superior interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations- adjusting response styles to CADSI’s diverse constituency.
- You recognize that new challenges are presented at any time.
- You have the ability to manage multiple high-priority projects.
- You have the ability to research, design and build a concept into a viable opportunity.
- You have the experience and acumen to engage and successfully manage executive-level decision-makers.
- You are a creative and proactive problem solver who thrives on working within very short timelines.
- You are able to properly forecast, create and manage budgets and comprehend complex financial concepts and documents.
- You are a motivated team player with demonstrated attention to detail, adept and adaptable in working independently or in a team setting.
- You are known for your sense of humour, curiosity, energy, interpersonal skills, and overall positive outlook.
Requirements for this Position:
- Bilingualism (English/French) is considered an asset
- Undergraduate degree or College diploma or relevant work experience (minimum 7 years) in Event Management or similar environments.
- Excellent project management, organizational, and efficient communication skills, with the ability to manage time, multiple priorities and multitask effectively.
- Experience in database management and analysis, and knowledge and training in CRM tools is an asset.
- Strong computer literacy and proficiency in all Microsoft applications, including SharePoint. Other project and space planning software experience would be considered an asset.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including occasional weekends and evenings.
- Honest, trustworthy and utilizes good judgement.
- Flexible, cooperative, and capable of working confidently in a team setting and comfortable working individually.
Downtown Ottawa climate-controlled office environment, flexible hours, with a combination of in-office and remote work possibilities, based on our event production timetable. Overtime may be required at times, as well as local and international travel.
CADSI is a responsible organization and adheres to all public health guidelines while providing a productive, healthy and safe work environment, be it from remote workspaces or in the office environment. All our employees are expected to practice and abide by all applicable occupational health and safety legislation and public health guidelines. CADSI is committed to building diverse, equitable, inclusive, flexible and accessible working environments. CADSI welcomes those who would contribute to the further diversification of staff, including, but not limited to, women, racialized persons, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to apply.
How to Apply
To apply for this exciting leadership position, please submit your resume and related materials to: [email protected] by August 22, 2022. Please state the name of the position in the subject line of your e-mail. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those under consideration for the role will be contacted.
Full-time, Permanent. The compensation package, including an attractive salary, will be outlined to qualified prospects and discussed during a personal interview. CADSI also offers an excellent benefits package, an annual bonus and RRSP matching program, and opportunities for professional development.
The Canadian Association of Defence and Security Industries (CADSI) is the national industry voice of more than 650 Canadian defence, security and cybersecurity companies that produce world-class goods, services and technologies made across Canada and sought the world over. The industries contribute to the employment of more than 78,000 Canadians and generate $12.6 billion in annual revenues, roughly half of which come from exports. To learn more, visit defenceandsecurity.ca and follow us on Twitter at @CadsiCanada .
Please direct all media inquiries to:
Tel: +1 613-235-5337 x43
The Canadian Association of Defence and Security Industries
251 Laurier Ave. West, Suite 300 Ottawa, ON, K1P 5J6