CANSEC 2016 Day One Breakfast
May 25th, 08:00, EY Centre, Ottawa, Ontario
Check Against DeliveryBonjour mesdames et monsieurs, Bienvenue. Good morning ladies and gentlemen, honoured guests, distinguished members of the Canadian Armed Forces and militaries abroad. Welcome to CANSEC 2016, Canada’s global defence and security trade show. My name is Chris Cianfarani and I am the President of CADSI, the Defence and Security Industry Association and your host for these next 2 days.
I remember standing on this stage one year ago at my first CANSEC as President. And what a year it has been!
Vous remarquerez la nouvelle image moderne illustrant l’histoire de CANSEC, symbole de notre réputation d’excellence et la réunion mondiale du salon et de vous, nos membres.
Along with our new brand we have many exciting new features for CANSEC 2016 thanks in large part to ideas from our members.
• We have a new and slick outdoor food market featuring some of Ottawa’s tastiest and eclectic food trucks.
• To better serve our growing number of foreign delegations, we have created a new international lounge with its own meeting space.
• Speaking of meeting spaces, we are trying something new this year with customizable executive indoor Business Suites.
• We are also pleased to have new partnerships. Air Canada is CANSEC’s Official Airline and we have 3-year long-term partnership with CAE.
• We are pleased to be building on our relationship with the City of Ottawa. This year you will see it in the new ways the city has welcomed CANSEC and you. Cela comprend des rabais grâce au Programme « Montrez votre insigne » dans les restaurants participants.
These new features are putting the polish on our already highly successful tradeshow. A tradeshow that has:
• Over 11,000 registrants;
• over 300 exhibiting companies from coast to coast to coast;
• the Chief of the Defence staff to open our show;
• keynotes from two cabinet ministers;
• thousands of government stakeholders, Canadian Armed Forces members, and public safety officers;
• hundreds of VIPs and distinguished guests;
• 66 nations in attendance up from 52 last year;
• and, most importantly of all 135,000 square feet full of the most sophisticated, high end Canadian made defence and security goods and services.
We are so jammed full here that the only way to go is up.
And with your commitment to innovation, technology, a skilled workforce, growing exports, and quality Canadian made goods and services sought the world over, well…the raptors have it right…#wethenorth.
CANSEC 2016 has also brought back many tried and true offerings this year:
• Des centaines de réunions B2B et B2G où les contrats se négocient;
• Des occasions pour les anciens combattants et les membres des Forces armées canadiennes de participer à CANSEC et à tisser des liens importants;
• and of course as you all witnessed to just moment ago, the pipes of the Cameron Highlanders, in honour of your presence here. I would like to thank Doug Palmer for kindly coordinating this special honour.
Also tried and true is the dedication of the many retired veterans, serving members of the Canadian Armed Forces, the Department of National Defence, and the many public safety and first responders. We are grateful for your service—day in and day out—on behalf of our country. We know how your safety and security relies in part on our products and services, just as we rely on you to make Canada and the world a safer place for us all. Thank you.
Now to get on with the show. I hope you enjoyed our morning networking reception sponsored by Mannarino Systems and Software. I invite you to please begin your breakfast. Mark Halinaty, president of Thales Canada our breakfast sponsor, will be up shortly to introduce our keynote speaker the chief of defence staff general Jonathan Vance. After the CDS delivers his keynote remarks, Pierre Pyun, vice president of government relations at Bombardier as our second breakfast sponsor, will thank General Vance. I will then close breakfast with our annual True Patriot Love CANSEC donation.
Please enjoy your breakfasts.